So to the list of sporting achievements of the decade. Again by Trefor Little and again in no particular order here are the athletes who shone in their chosen fields.
- Tiger Woods (USA – 12 Majors, 56 Other PGA Event wins)
- Roger Federer (Switzerland – 15 Grand Slams)
- Ricky Ponting (Australia – 9,458 Test Runs (including 32 centuries) at an average of 58.4)
- Michael Schumacher (5 world titles in the noughties)
- Joe Calzaghe (19 Defences of the World Super Middleweight Title – All won)
If I were to pick I would obviously go for Michael Schumacher. Ross Brawn has probably been the brains behind that success and also led Brawn to both titles last year but chubby genisuses do not tend to get sporting awards.